Have you been to therapy before, but not with a partner? Are you nervous about starting this process? Do you think that it could benefit your relationship?
In this episode of The Shrink Think podcast, Nathan and Aaron answer all these questions and more as they discuss some things to know about couples counseling.
In This Episode
- What is couples therapy?
- What can you expect from couples counseling?
What is couples therapy?
- The therapist is much more involved.
- Some therapists don’t specialize in couples counseling. It’s actually harder to find therapists that specialize in this.
- There’s a lot more intervention and psycho-education than a regular therapy session with one person.
What can you expect from couples counseling?
- The therapist is looking at both people and analyzing their body movement, posture, reactions, etc., and noting all of it.
- Couples therapy sessions can highlight childhood/personal issues that are affecting the relationship.
- If you go to couples therapy, don’t be surprised if the therapist suggests that one or both of you go to individual therapy.
- Sign up for our free email course, 9 Ways To Overcome Fear & Self-Doubt, that will guide you through our process of facing fears and insecurities so that you can feel more comfortable in your own skin
- Book: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Thanks for Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the icons below. If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a review on iTunes and subscribe to our podcast!
Meet Nathan & Aaron
Nathan Hawkins and Aaron Potratz are both licensed therapists and clinical supervisors in the state of Oregon. They each own their own private group counseling practices and co-own a third group practice together. Nathan and Aaron have been in the field since 2004 and 2007, respectively, and have over 100,000 hours of therapy experience each. On their show, they discuss facing fears and common challenges from a therapist’s point of view, imparting wisdom and humanity to their viewers. Along the way, they hope to not only share their insights but bring some light-hearted entertainment to make the journey easier.