Are you skeptical of therapy? Not really sure what it is? Are you feeling pressure from friends to start up some sessions?
In this episode of The Shrink Think podcast, Nathan and Aaron answer all these questions and more as they discuss what even is therapy.
In This Episode
- What is therapy?
- What can you expect from sessions?
- Why is therapy so common nowadays?
What is therapy?
- It’s where you go to seek help!
- Your therapist is looking to get to know you as a person so that they can best help you take that next step forward.
- It’s not a waste of time!
What can you expect from sessions?
- It can be a little awkward at first, as you’re sharing some personal details of your life.
- The therapist will intentionally ask you a bunch of questions in the first sessions to figure out you as a person.
- It’s really up to you how open you want to be. If you want to give context, get to talking! If you want to get right to the point, then make that clear, too.
Why is therapy so common nowadays?
- COVID catapulted the need for mental health support.
- Living in a digital age can heighten some mental health struggles.
- The events happening in our world today are pushing people to ask for support.
- Sign up for our free email course, 9 Ways To Overcome Fear & Self-Doubt, that will guide you through our process of facing fears and insecurities so that you can feel more comfortable in your own skin
- Book: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Thanks for Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the icons below. If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a review on iTunes and subscribe to our podcast!
Meet Nathan & Aaron
Nathan Hawkins and Aaron Potratz are both licensed therapists and clinical supervisors in the state of Oregon. They each own their own private group counseling practices and co-own a third group practice together. Nathan and Aaron have been in the field since 2004 and 2007, respectively, and have over 100,000 hours of therapy experience each. On their show, they discuss facing fears and common challenges from a therapist’s point of view, imparting wisdom and humanity to their viewers. Along the way, they hope to not only share their insights but bring some light-hearted entertainment to make the journey easier.