What is informed consent? How does it apply to your daily life? What about in your counseling sessions?
In this episode of The Shrink Think podcast, Nathan and Aaron answer all these questions and more as they share more about informed consent in therapy.
In This Episode
- What is informed consent?
- Why is this important?
- Are all therapists’ informed consent standards/procedures the same?
What is informed consent?
- It’s giving you information to feel safe and empowered.
- Talking about this will lead to better collaboration.
- For example: Therapists’ will lay out financial expectations up front, so you’re informed and aware of their processes.
Why is this important?
- It gives clients clarity right from the start.
- It sets expectations for your sessions going forward.
- Think of it like this – Information is powerful! Coming in, clients don’t know a lot about therapy. They’ll appreciate the information.
Are all therapists’ informed consent standards/procedures the same?
- Of course, fees will vary from therapist to therapist.
- They could also have different cancellation notices, different confidentiality agreements, etc.
- Sign up for our free email course, 9 Ways To Overcome Fear & Self-Doubt, that will guide you through our process of facing fears and insecurities so that you can feel more comfortable in your own skin
- Book: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Thanks for Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the icons below. If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a review on iTunes and subscribe to our podcast!
Meet Nathan & Aaron
Nathan Hawkins and Aaron Potratz are both licensed therapists and clinical supervisors in the state of Oregon. They each own their own private group counseling practices and co-own a third group practice together. Nathan and Aaron have been in the field since 2004 and 2007, respectively, and have over 100,000 hours of therapy experience each. On their show, they discuss facing fears and common challenges from a therapist’s point of view, imparting wisdom and humanity to their viewers. Along the way, they hope to not only share their insights but bring some light-hearted entertainment to make the journey easier.