What is a therapist? What is a therapist NOT? Have you ever thought about where the line is drawn between therapist and client?
In this episode of The Shrink Think podcast, Nathan and Aaron answer all these questions and more as they share more about what a therapist is NOT!
In This Episode
- What is a therapist not?
- What is your therapist to you?
- Why is a therapist not just somebody to vent to?
What is a therapist not?
- They are not exclusively advice givers
- They are not secret keepers
- They are not perfect!
What is your therapist to you?
- They’re not your friends!
- But, they’re always trying to think in terms of what’s best for you.
- Just keep in mind that they’re doing a job, and they’re being compensated for it financially
Why is a therapist not just somebody to vent to?
- They’re not going to validate everything they’re saying.
- We use your venting to access deeper issues/traumas.
- We’re more expensive than that! We need to provide guidance/feedback.
- Sign up for our free email course, 9 Ways To Overcome Fear & Self-Doubt, that will guide you through our process of facing fears and insecurities so that you can feel more comfortable in your own skin
- Book: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Thanks for Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the icons below. If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a review on iTunes and subscribe to our podcast!
Meet Nathan & Aaron
Nathan Hawkins and Aaron Potratz are both licensed therapists and clinical supervisors in the state of Oregon. They each own their own private group counseling practices and co-own a third group practice together. Nathan and Aaron have been in the field since 2004 and 2007, respectively, and have over 100,000 hours of therapy experience each. On their show, they discuss facing fears and common challenges from a therapist’s point of view, imparting wisdom and humanity to their viewers. Along the way, they hope to not only share their insights but bring some light-hearted entertainment to make the journey easier.