Have you enjoyed learning about the different types of therapy ? Are you looking to gain insight into your life? Are you interested in learning more complex techniques?
In this episode of The Shrink Think podcast, Nathan and Aaron answer all these questions and more as they share their observations and experiences with EMDR and other popular techniques.
In This Episode
- What is Rogerian Theory?
- What is narrative therapy?
- What is ACT?
- What is EMDR?
What is Rogerian Theory?
- A therapeutic technique in which the client takes an active, autonomous role in therapy session
- Based on the idea that the client knows what is best
- The therapist’s role is to facilitate an environment in which the client can bring about positive change
What is narrative therapy?
- Seeks to help patients identify their values and the skills associated with them
- Aims to transform the effects of a problem
- The goal is to make space between a person and their issue
What is ACT?
- Teaches mindfulness skills to help individuals live and behave in ways consistent with personal values while developing psychological flexibility
- Help individuals recognize ways in which their attempts to suppress, manage, and control emotional experiences create challenge
- Individuals can become better able to make room for values-based actions that support well-being.
What is EMDR?
- Originally designed to alleviate the distress associated with traumatic memories
- Enables people to heal from the symptoms and emotional distress that are the result of disturbing life experiences
- Shows that the mind can in fact heal from psychological trauma much as the body recovers from physical trauma
- Sign up for our free email course, 9 Ways To Overcome Fear & Self-Doubt, that will guide you through our process of facing fears and insecurities so that you can feel more comfortable in your own skin
- Book: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Thanks for Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the icons below. If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a review on iTunes and subscribe to our podcast!
Meet Nathan & Aaron
Nathan Hawkins and Aaron Potratz are both licensed therapists and clinical supervisors in the state of Oregon. They each own their own private group counseling practices and co-own a third group practice together. Nathan and Aaron have been in the field since 2004 and 2007, respectively, and have over 100,000 hours of therapy experience each. On their show, they discuss facing fears and common challenges from a therapist’s point of view, imparting wisdom and humanity to their viewers. Along the way, they hope to not only share their insights but bring some light-hearted entertainment to make the journey easier.