Have you felt a little overwhelmed since COVID lockdowns started lifting? Is getting back out into the public scary for you? Have you thought about why this is happening?
In this episode of The Shrink Think podcast, Nathan and Aaron answer all these questions and more as they share their observations and experiences with unmasking anxiety as therapists.
In This Episode
- Why is there a heightened sense of anxiety
- What has been added to social anxiety
- How do you handle all of this
Why is there a heightened sense of anxiety
- Exhausted – The pandemic has been going on for well over a year
- Government leaders making wrong decisions
- Differing opinions – Getting bad looks for wearing a mask, etc.
What has been added to social anxiety
- Pandemic has developed social phobias in people who didn’t have one prior
- Some people refuse to follow the rules
- Most people aren’t completely sure as to what’s really happening in our new lives
- Uncertainty around the virus
How do you handle all of this
- Realize other people are going through this, too
- Knowing that you’ve done certain things before that now makes you nervous.
- ie) Going to school
- Let yourself relax by knowing everybody is stressed out
- Sign up for our free email course, 9 Ways To Overcome Fear & Self-Doubt, that will guide you through our process of facing fears and insecurities so that you can feel more comfortable in your own skin
- Book: Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman
Thanks for Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the icons below. If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a review on iTunes and subscribe to our podcast!
Meet Nathan & Aaron
Nathan Hawkins and Aaron Potratz are both licensed therapists and clinical supervisors in the state of Oregon. They each own their own private group counseling practices and co-own a third group practice together. Nathan and Aaron have been in the field since 2004 and 2007, respectively, and have over 100,000 hours of therapy experience each. On their show, they discuss facing fears and common challenges from a therapist’s point of view, imparting wisdom and humanity to their viewers. Along the way, they hope to not only share their insights but bring some light-hearted entertainment to make the journey easier.