What is it like being a therapist? What are some common questions people ask about your job? How do you do it?
In this episode, Nathan and Aaron will give you some behind the scenes perspectives on what their lives are like as therapists.
In This Podcast
- What is it we actually do as therapists
- How do you deal with people’s problems all day?
- Do you ever “take it home”?
- What do you do to “leave it at the office”?
- How self-awareness helps
What is it we actually do as therapists
- Aaron and Nathan are both licensed counselors and clinical supervisors in Oregon, with nearly 30 years of experience between them
- Nathan owns his own group counseling practice: Life Encounter Counseling
- Aaron owns his own group counseling practice: Discover Counseling
- Together, they co-own a third group counseling practice: Life Discovery Counseling Services
- Nathan is the down-to-earth next-door neighbor, Aaron is the organized spreadsheet guy
How do you deal with people’s problems all day?
- Shrink Think is a channel for us to talk about our experiences as therapists, business owners, and the human side of things behind all that – which we don’t get to share with clients but find ourselves in conversation about whenever we meet new people.
- We want this podcast to be interesting, enlightening, and entertaining as we open up our lives and minds with you.
Do you ever take it home?
Over the next several episodes, we’ll be talking about these topics:
- What it’s like being a therapist
- What are therapists like in “real life” (outside the office)
- Being therapists who are also business owners
- Dealing with our own fears, insecurities, and issues as counselors
What do you do to leave it at the office?
- People who we call “psychologically curious” and want to hear some behind-the-scenes stories from therapists
- People interested in our personal insights that we’ve gained as counselors, helping people and learning things for and about ourselves int he process
- Other counselors can listen and feel connected to us, and hopefully hear many of their own experiences and feel more normal
- If you’ve considered becoming a counselor or are in the process, this can give you a better idea of what to expect
- If you’re a regular person who is drawn to other people and why they do what they do, then this podcast is definitely for you!
How self-awareness helps
- We started out building our practices separately
- After working alone for several years, we started a counseling supervision group together
- In 2014 we “moved in together” to a shared office space where we began to grow our practices and help each other
- In 2016 we co-founded a separate group counseling practice together in a different part of town
- Since then, we’ve been learning and growing as business owners and friends
- Sign up for our free email course that will guide you through our process of facing fears and insecurities so that you can feel more comfortable in your own skin
Thanks for Listening!
Feel free to leave a comment below or share this podcast on social media by clicking on one of the icons below. If you enjoyed this episode, please leave us a review on iTunes and subscribe to our podcast!
Meet Nathan & Aaron
Nathan Hawkins and Aaron Potratz are both licensed therapists and clinical supervisors in the state of Oregon. They each own their own private group counseling practices and co-own a third group practice together. Nathan and Aaron have been in the field since 2004 and 2007, respectively, and have over 100,000 hours of therapy experience each. On their show, they discuss facing fears and common challenges from a therapist’s point of view, imparting wisdom and humanity to their viewers. Along the way, they hope to not only share their insights but bring some light-hearted entertainment to make the journey easier.